Monday, March 18, 2019

Made it to the greenhouse.

We have had a lot of snow where I live.  It has been a crazy winter.  Lots of weather stuff and lots of other stuff.  One of the results of all of the 'stuff' is that I haven't been able to get to the greenhouse for several weeks.  There has been a thick blanket of snow covering most of the farm, thicker in places where it drifted, a little less deep where the wind blew it away.  Near the greenhouse it was quite a bit deeper than the snowblower could manage.  I was able to get about halfway there and then no further.  Now that the weather is a little warmer I have been shoveling my way over there and today I got the last of the path done.  I had been dreading what I would find.  The heater had been on when the greenhouse got snowed in but nothing had been watered.  And on sunny days it has been hot in there.  Yesterday, the remote thermometer that reads in the house said 130 degrees.  This year I didn't get many greens started but I was trying to overwinter some pots of herbs and strawberries.  I pretty much assumed that they would be dead.  I also had some onions and pie pumpkins that I had put there after harvest.  Soon I will be needing the space for my summer garden seedlings which I start in the house but when they get a little bigger and the weather moderates a bit they will go out to the greenhouse.
This is the start of the path, from the driveway to the second maple tree.
 The path will come in handy as it will soon be maple syrup season and I will be making trips back and forth to that tree and the other nearer the house. 
This is the second leg, where the path turns at the maple and heads toward the greenhouse.

This is the worst part where the snow was the deepest.

The greenhouse is in the upper right corner of this picture. 


This is the snow in front of the greenhouse.

Last little stretch left to shovel.

Looking back down the path from the greenhouse door.
 We have had some warmer weather and a little sun so some of our snow has melted.  This picture was taken today of the waist high birdbath under the grape arbor.
 Same birdbath a couple of days ago.  The snow is probably six inches deeper and you can see the snow on the grape vines on top of the pergola. 
In this picture the black horizontal line in front of the garage door is the top of the flatbed trailer that is parked there.  A couple of days ago it was completely covered.
This is a picture of the front of my house with all of the snow and icicles.
All of that snow has now melted off of the roof and the icicles are gone.  We would hear them crash to the ground.  Amazing what a little sun can do.  As I shoveled the path there was a couple inches of slush under the snow.  All of our buildings have steeply pitched roofs so we didn't have any roofs that caved in due to the weight of the snow but it was a worry for some.

Sharing with Metamorphosis Monday at BNOTP here.



2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a lot of snow!! I bet you can't wait for the rest of it to melt away. I'm looking forward to spring...with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day it gets better. It has been sunny and close to 30 yesterday and close to 40 today. Saw your pillow. Very cute.

      Delete