Wednesday, August 18, 2021

More weather

 So my last post, the first in a really long time, was about weather and it seems that weather is still having a big impact.  My part of Minnesota is in a drought.  Last week there was an inch and three tenths of rain at the farm.  My sister 15 miles to the east had two and one-half inches and my mom, 15 miles to the west had an amazing four inches.  That rain was my only measurable rainfall this summer.  The field crops around the farm
are struggling.  I haven't seen anyone plowing them under but it is unknown yet if there will be much of a crop.  

My fruit trees were full of blossoms this spring but did not set fruit.  My grape vines are the exception.  They seem to be liking this heat.  The purple grapes are done.  I have been using a steam juicer to make grape juice.  Right now the juice is sitting in my freezer.  At some point I hope to make jelly or try to make wine from that juice.  The white grapes are a little later but seem close.  I ordered a refractometer which should arrive tomorrow.  Then I will have a more accurate measure of when the grapes are ready to be picked. 

My lawn is dormant so the time that I am not spending mowing I am spending watering.  We have had an unusually warm summer, second warmest on record for June.  Between the heat and the drought It is hard keeping plants from getting crispy.  Early this summer I purchased quite a few perennial and annual flowers which means even more watering.  

I have been having a pretty good summer.  I am not doing the farmers market this summer which is allowing me more time to do more things in my yard.  Some of my family was home in May for Mother's Day and we worked on rehabbing my neglected potager garden.  My big garden is idle this year.  I will be working on making it smaller, tarping it to kill the abundant weeds and fixing the deer fencing.  The snow has done a lot of damage to the end closest to the trees where the big drifts form.  I am planning to take down that end of the fencing and let the area return to grass.

I have been adding some round raised beds made from grain bin rings.  When done I will have seven of them.  So far I have four assembled and three are partially filled and growing stuff,  When the crops come out I will top them off, filling them to the top.  They are quite tall so they hold a lot of fill.  I have done some with a hugelkulture method putting branches and wood in the bottom then a wood chip layer and a layer of leaves.  The top layer is a mix of composted manure, peat moss and perlite.  I am doing some with a wire tube in the center and I am adding kitchen scraps to that for composting.  I am hoping it will be broken down by worms in the bed adding nutrition through their castings over the years.  The leaves and wood chips will break down over time so I expect a lot of settling.

 I will have to get some pictures and post them.  

 Lorri


8 comments:

  1. Always good to catch up, Lorri. The weather has been rough here, too. It's either been too wet or too hot and my garden reflects that. My sunflowers haven't even bloomed yet, which is really late and even my hearty Morning Glories are struggling to cover the garage wall. I hope this doesn't forecast a rough winter!! Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, It does seem like lots of bad weather all over. I am kind of worried about the winter as well.

      Delete
  2. pg slot.co ค่ายน้องใหม่ พีจีสล็อต ส่งตรงจากแดนผู้ดีอังกฤษ พร้อมให้บริการแก่ผู้เล่นและนักพนันชาวไทยทุกคนแล้ว พบกับเกมสล็อตออนไลน์รูปแบบใหม่เล่นได้ผ่าน เว็บไซต์เกมสล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  3. สล็อต ออนไลน์ เป็นแบบเกม เว็บไซต์สล็อต สล็อตออนไลน์ ยอดนิยมแล้วก็เป็นที่ชอบใจอย่างยิ่งสำหรับผู้เล่นเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ขณะนี้ด้วยต้นแบบเกมส์ มาแรงและแตกดี แตกง่ายที่สุด ของเรา พีจีสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  4. วิธี สมัคร pg slot สมัครง่าย ผ่านระบบอัตโนมัติ 3 วินาที ทำให้ทุกคนเพลิน ไปกับการเล่น pgslot สล็อต ได้ทุกหนทุกแห่ง ส่วนวิธีการลงทะเบียนนั้น ไม่ยุ่งยากเหมือนอย่างที่คิด

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone on here, I want to share with you all a great testimony on how I was cured by Dr Jekawo, who cured so many diseases.
    I was suffering from herpes and diabetes also my little sister was a victim of blood cancer too but with the help of Dr Jekawo we are all fine, well with his natural remedies that he prepare then send to us through dhl courier he then instruct us on how to drink the herbal medicines which we did and today we are completely well, we have being living free for 2 years now and it's seems like a God sent when I met him online by a lady giving testimony online like I'm doing right now.also I have introduce Dr Jekawo to several colleagues from works suffering from different kind of diseases and Dr Jekawo has healed all of them with his herbal knowledge. he's a great man with ancestral power to cure people with herpes,cancer,diabetes,hepatitis,hpv,lupus,als,hiv/aids, also spiritual consultation he's available for that as well.
    I email him on: drjekawo@gmail.com because that's the only source to get to him as he lives far from the United state,I told him that I will be giving testimony on his behalf because he's a good man with a Godly heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pg slot สล็อต พี จี ถ้ามีปริศนาว่า เกมสล็อต PG SLOT เกมไหนดี จะต้องบอกเลยว่า เว็บชั้น 1 ของประเทศเวลานี้ จำต้องน่าเล่นมากยิ่งกว่า 1000 เกม แล้วก็ ยังสามารถเล่นได้ทั้งยัง

    ReplyDelete