Sunday, January 19, 2020

Blue cornmeal

One of my goals this year is to learn to use new ingredients, gadgets or tools that I have acquired but are still sitting around waiting for me to get to them.  One of the ingredients is blue cornmeal.  My sister first expressed an interest in finding blue cornmeal.  We looked locally and close by but did not find any, so we ordered some online and shared it when it arrived.  I hadn't used it yet but decided that it was time so I searched out recipes for cornbread. 

I don't have a go-to recipe for cornbread.  I  haven't made it very often and when I have I have used the recipe on the cardboard container.  Being snowed in and not expecting to be able to run to the grocery store for a couple of days I was looking for recipes that called for buttermilk since I had that and didn't want to use the last of my milk.  I ended up combining ingredients from a couple of different recipes and the results were pretty good.  I am in my second day of nibbling on the cornbread.   I think I will make some of the cornbread into croutons for adding to salads, soups and chili. 



I am not out of cornmeal yet so I think my next project will be learning to use the tortilla press that I bought this summer and make some homemade corn tortillas.  Stay tuned.

If you are interested in the cornbread recipe it can be found here.

Lorri

No comments:

Post a Comment