Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Hello 2019

Happy New Year.  We are, here at the farm, in the middle of a cold snap.  Today it is -12 with wind chills of -25 to -35.  The high is expected to stay below zero today but warm overnight.  Tomorrow should be better.  It sounds like a good day to stay in and catch up on some blogging.

The beginning of a new year is often associated with new starts and resolutions.  I have never been successful with resolutions but I am going to use today for some reflection and goal setting. 

2018 was a very challenging and discouraging year.  A lot of the challenges were out of my control but finding a better way to manage them is something that I need to learn to keep them from overwhelming me.  Last year I found myself running like a chicken with it's head cut off (is that a regional saying?) from one unfinished project to the next and one near disaster (okay that might be a little dramatic)  to the next.  Though I felt busy I sure didn't get stuff crossed of my list.

So here are a few thoughts on 2019.  I started following a blog a few years ago.  I found them by accident.  I saw a pin on Pinterest that was about dismantling a pallet.  I followed the link and found this garden/lifestyle blog.  The couple lived in town, but had a small acreage in the country and they were building, from scratch, a hobby farm.  I started using some of their garden ideas.  One of the things they have done every year since I started following them is to make a list of goals for the year. I think every year that is their first post of the new year. I tried one year to do the same and it was halfhearted at best--way too comprehensive and not realistic at all.   It was more like a brainstorming session where you list every single thing that comes to mind.  Here is a link to their blog

In the time that I have been following them they have built a house and moved to the farm, written two books, quit their day jobs and are about to embark on a year-long trip to visit each of the United States in a camper.   Well, maybe not Hawaii or Alaska in the camper.  I am going to create a list of goals for the year.

I tend to be a list maker but I don't always make good use of my lists.  Often it is a way to organize my thoughts, but once finished, never to be referred to again.  I recently read again about bullet journals.  I am going to give it a try.  All my stuff (goals and to-do lists) together in one place! The idea of a portable collection of all my lists is enticing but not very practical for me, who sees small print poorly.  I am starting my journal on the computer.  I can print individual pages if I should need portability.  I am going to take a week to gather my ideas and needs and then prioritize those into a hopefully achievable list of 12 goals.  One for each month.  Maybe the blog needs a bullet journal of its own. 

Thanks for visiting,

Lorri










4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, my friend. Oh boy, do I hear you loud and clear. I know this couple and actually many, many like them. They are all moving along at lightening speed and I...am not. I was laughing the other day that I published 500 posts and not really much closer to many of my goals than I was when I started. I too am trying to start the year off with my goals in mind, diving into new project, trying new things, saying yes to fresh opportunities, all the while trying to keep it simple. I'll let you know how it goes. We should check in with each other periodically for support...😊 Best of luck with your bullet journal. I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I agree, let's support each other. 500 posts. Wow that seems like a lot. My blog archive shows that I posted 12 times in 2018 on this blog and my recipe blogs are worse. I started blogging mostly for myself as a place to diary/journal and keep track of recipes. I feel so blessed to have made new blog friends, like you. Thanks for your friendship. That is really the icing on the cake.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree! ❤️

      Delete
  2. I ran across your blog on a search for hobby farm blogging and am glad I did. I run a small hobby farm and have been bullet Journaling for two years. I'm trying to figure out ways to incorporate farm things into the bullet journal but no clue how to do it. I'm figuring it out as I go. Good luck to you if you choose to go for it!

    ReplyDelete