Saturday, February 9, 2013

update on koley's kale

This is a new picture of Nikole's kale.  It was planted on Christmas in the new seed starting tray and heat mat that was my Christmas gift from Nikole and Brad.  The kale is still small but it is looking healthy and is getting new true leaves.


I have been slowly transplanting the small seedlings into bigger containers.  The first ones that I transplanted were some of the larger seedlings from the tray.  They went into a self watering style long planter and a round pot.  A few days later I transplanted  a few more and then more still.  The ones that I transplanted later  were bigger than the ones transplanted earlier.  I am not sure if that is transplant shock or just that they grow faster on the heat.  I have them nearly all transplanted. The picture above was taken five days ago.  The picture below was taken today.

The kale has grown a little in the days since the last picture.

Why grow kale?

I found an article extolling the great nutrition contained in kale. 

I learned that kale is an effective antioxidant food.  It contains more iron per calorie than beef and more calcium per calorie than milk. A serving of kale contains 5% of a person's daily fiber needs, 2 grams of protein, 121 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, 92.4 mg of omega-6 fatty acids, and vitamins A and C.  Once this kale gets a little bigger I will definitely be looking for some interesting recipes using kale.

We have had warmer weather, a little sun, longer days.  Some of the other plants that have not done a thing all winter  are starting to look a little perkier.  I am guardedly optimistic.  I have sown a few more seeds, some baby bok choy and some Tom Thumb lettuce a few of each in 2 inch plastic pots and they have kicked the kale off the mat and are tucked in under the plastic cover waiting to germinate. 

 Just when it seems like spring should be right around the corner our little corner of the world is expecting winter weather.  The predictions are for snow or ice and snow and wind.  Hopefully the wind will keep the snow from collecting too deeply on the glazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment