Monday, February 12, 2018

It is finished

I have finally completed the dish pantry project that I first shared as almost finished here.  At that point I had done most of the work on the pantry itself and then discovered that the door did not fit the opening.  In hindsight the way to build the front wall that contains the door would have been to build the door frame and then the walls around it.  I considered planing off part of the door but the amount would have been significant and would probably have been more noticeable than I would have liked.  I eventually decided to hang the door from a barn door track.  This option has some challenges of its own.  Most doors on tracks are mounted on the wall so that the track covers the opening and slides fully to one side.   The door is wider than the opening so when closed it overlaps the opening and when it is open it hangs along side of the opening.

In my situation The door and the opening were sort of similar in size so no overlap.  The door opening was also centered and I had walls at both ends of the rail that limited how far the door could slide in either direction.  I also did not have very much clearance between the low ceiling and the top of the door.  So off to the store I went.  My sister went along and we were able to find a rail system that met my needs.  Although the black wrought iron rails have a definite farmhouse feel the wheel system on them is too tall for the space that I have.  I ended up buying one that was a brushed silver colored metal, maybe nickle.  It had the low profile that I needed and since I have quite a bit of metal in my adjoining kitchen already, stainless stove, shiny chrome industrial wire shelving and brushed metal under cabinet rails it fit in.

Of course it was too long for my space so back to the store for a tool to cut it.  A dremel made pretty quick work of the cut and did a nice job.  Next was figuring out how high to hang the bar.  The system that I chose had a two piece hanger that went on each end.  They needed to be level but they couldn't be attached with the bar in place.  The bar needed to be the right height so that the door would be off the floor so that it would glide properly when moved but not too high.  And the bar was a round one, not the flat ones that most rail systems have.  So there were a lot of curved surfaces to consider that were difficult to measure.  I eventually got the rail installed where I thought was the right height only to have the door a little long.  I was not about to rehang that hardware so I carried the door out to the shed and cut a little off the bottom.  Of course it was not able to hand straight so I wasn't sure how much to cut off and I could have cut a little less off than I did but I am happy with the results.

After the door was finished it was to finish up the rest of the area.  This is the main entrance to the house and it all needed a little freshening.  I removed a wallpaper boarder, new white paint on the walls, cubbies and the door and new black paint on the floor.  Here are a few after pictures.

The door

the barn door track

The floor

the cubbies

The door



Sharing with BNOTP Metamorphosis Monday here.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so super impressed with your skill and your design eye. I love the way it looks. I also adore your floor! How pretty. The doorknob on the barn door is very charming. I have to say, you are one very handy lady and an awesome decorator. Now I want to see the rest of your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim for your sweet comment. When we moved into our house the kitchen had a white linoleum floor and there was the same pattern in a gold in the dining end of our living/dining room. There was a shabby green carpet at the living end of the same room. We pulled up the carpet and had the tile removed. It contained asbestos so we didn't do it ourselves. The hardwood underneath in the living/dining thawas in pretty decent shape so we sanded and varnished it but the kitchen was not in as good of shape so we painted it. First it was green and then it was black. I think that the entry where the cubbies and the dish pantry are was added at some point before we moved in as the floor there is slightly wider boards and it the doorway between the entry and kitchen appears to have had an exterior door there originally. The door on the dish pantry is a vintage one that I bought for $20 and the metal plate and a slightly different doorknob were part of it. Both of our exterior doors have the same style of plate so I kept it but took of the doorknob and replaced it on the outside only with one that matched the others. I couldn't have the knob on the inside as it would keep the door from sliding that way so it is attached to a bolt on the back side. The doorknobs on my interior doors are all glass and unfortunately I didn't have an extra as that would have been fun too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Lorri for trying my soup recipe and glad you liked it. Also thank you for stopping by to leave your comments. I will write this recipe in my next post. Love Sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The door looks lovely. The dark wooden floor and white doors go hand in hand. Inspiring. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujatha, it is good to have it done and nice to have the extra storage.

      Delete
  4. Thank you once again to say you tried and liked the soup. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That door is fabulous! Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete