Saturday, February 24, 2018

learn and do sous vide edition

Do you sous vide?  I am brand new to the sous vide club.  My daughter got a sous vide as a wedding gift and she brought it home with her once on a visit to the farm and we made pickles and sampled some Limoncello that she had made at home.  I had been interested in having one of my own but hadn't gotten around to biting the bullet and getting it purchased.  I haven't been to any big fancy kitchen shops lately and I haven't seen them in our local stores.  Then, lo and behold just after  Christmas my sister and I spotted them in the larger Walmart in the neighboring town.  It was a different brand than the one that my daughter has and we decided that I would check out the reviews online before deciding to purchase.  A week later we were in the same neighboring town in Target and they had them too.  This time it was the same brand as my daughter's and they were marked down to save $40.  They had two left and we each bought one.

For those unfamiliar a sous vide (pronounced sue veed) is an immersion circulator.  It is a computerized heater with a pump that is placed in a pan or tub of water.  Food is added to the cooking container in plastic bags or glass jars and the sous vide warms the water to a specified temperature and holds it at that temperature while circulating the water around the bags or jars.  The food takes longer to cook, often an hour or hours, but it uses temperature not time to determine doneness.

The claim is that it can cook steak or other meats to perfection, restaurant quality even, in a bag in a pot of water with just a quick sear at the end..  I have not tried cooking meat yet but I have gotten my feet wet, pun intended, and I can share my first attempts.

The first thing I tried were hard cooked eggs.  We are big fans of deviled eggs and I am the one that brings them to our family gatherings.  I think that I have tried all of the old wives tales for how to get easy to peel eggs.  Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.  One online sous vider promised perfectly cooked eggs that were easy to peel.  I tried them once, and the results were okay but nothing to write home about.  The yolks remained bright orange and moist and the whites were pretty tender and broke when I was trying to peel them or cut them in half but they tasted fine.  I might give them another try.    

It has been Meyer lemon season in Minnesota.  We can't grow them here but there are a few weeks about this time of year when Meyer lemons can be found in the stores.  I had bought a bunch and decided to use them in my early sous vide experiments.  First I made limoncello.  The sous vide is used to infuse the alcohol with the lemon zest which is then strained and combined with simple syrup.  Traditionally the lemons are soaked in the alcohol for weeks and the sous vide reduces that time down to two or three hours.  My daughter makes her limoncello with Everclear but she lives close to Wisconsin and can hop over the state line and get the real thing.  On my side of the state the Everclear that can be sold in Minnesota has a lower proof and so I used vodka.  It turned out pretty yummy.  Right now I have it in canning jars in my freezer.  It doesn't freeze but is icy cold when you take it out.  I am planning to pour it into a pretty bottle or decanter for serving.  The Meyer lemons give it a really nice flavor.
Meyer limoncello

Then today I used the juice from those same lemons that I had zested for the limoncello in a Meyer lemon curd.  In the past my recipe for making lemon curd involved a double boiler and constant stirring.  With the sous vide, you whisk together the juice, sugar and eggs and pour it into the bag with the cubed butter.  The bag is placed in the water and once the contents of the bag reach 160 degrees the bag can be emptied into a bowl and whisked a few times to incorporate the melted butter into the rest of the ingredients and then poured into jars.  I left the lids ajar until the curd had cooled and then refrigerated one and put the rest in the freezer.  I made a first batch to test and when it was done and wonderful I decided to use the remainder of my reserved juice to make another batch.

The bag with the cubed butter and mix ready for sous vide


out of the bag and ready to whisk

finished lemon curd
My next attempt was a foray into homemade cheese making.  I have made homemade ricotta and homemade marscarpone in the past.  It involve careful watching of the temperature and with the sous vide I was able to put the milk in the bag and the bag in the cooking container and let the sous vide bring it to temperature without risk of scorching and constant watching.  I used goat milk to make goat cheese or chevre.  The milk is heated to temperature.  Lemon juice is added and the milk/lemon mixture is allowed to stand for ten minutes to allow the curds to form.  The mixture is then poured into a strainer for 1-2 hours and the whey is separated from the curd.  The curd is salted to taste.  The cheese ended up soft and spreadable but I think that it will firm up a bit when refrigerated.  I am considering adding herbs or garlic to the cheese for a flavored variety.  One quart of goat milk makes a cup of cheese and a couple of cups of whey.
sous vide working its magic

finished goat cheese
And supper, a salad with greens from the winter greenhouse with goat cheese, apple and pecans.


Sharing with BNOTP here.

10 comments:

  1. Every time I read one of your "kitchen" posts it makes me wish I were a much better cook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes us even. When I see your decorating posts I wish I was a better decorator. I think that half of the cooking battle is enjoying cooking and trying new things. These were all really easy, didn't even seem like cooking.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, I love it too and have rarely made it in the past. It is so easy this way that I am thinking that I will probably make it a lot more often.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Lorri to get inspired with the egg shell project this season. You can try. It is fun. You take lot of pain in preparing new dishes. Hats off to you. Best wishes and let it continue. Love Sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujatha. I have started saving my egg shells. I am trying to crack them near the top and keeping the prettiest ones. When I get a bunch I will do the candles and see if there is a source for tiny succulents or other small plants. Maybe I can start some herbs in time to get them big enough for Easter. Basil would be cute because the baby plants already have the characteristic shape to their leaves. It will be a fun project.

      Delete
  4. Wow!I never heard of that device before. I also didn't know that certain proofs of alcohol are unavailable depending on where you live. I usually leave the lemon curd to my husband, because he is so patient with time, and the machine does sound like it is easier to make soft cheeses. We spent a year making cheeses, sour cream, buttermilk with my daughter when she was interested in food microbiology after watching the "The Cheese Nun". I think the show was on PBS, but we purchased the video several years after it aired. This would of made it a lot easier. Primarily anything that takes careful watching is my spouse's domain, so this is a device I will have to show him. Have a wonderful week. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Su. Apparently sous vide has been a way of cooking in restaurants for years but I hadn't heard of it either until two years ago when my son and girlfriend bought one as a wedding gift for my daughter and son in law. I have now tried my first steak in there and it turned out great. The brand that I have is Anova. There seems to be a lot of online information that goes back quite a few years. Must have been a well kept secret. Minnesota sells the lower proof Everclear but for the higher proof (190) the folks on the east side of the state cross over into Wisconsin.

      Delete
  5. Thank you Lorri to like my Lemon scape. It is going to be Summer soon you can try this syrup. Hugs Sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujatha, you have very pretty pictures on your blog post. I always enjoy your writings.

      Delete