Sunday, March 25, 2018

Busy time at the farm

Lots of stuff going on at the farm.  It is pretty chaotic but here is what I am working on.

It is maple syrup season

The farm has two maple trees and now is the time of year when the sap is collected.  There is a magic time when the days are warm but the nights are still cool that causes the sap to move.  This is I think the third year that I have collected sap and made syrup.  Last summer there were two gentlemen who would drive past the farmstand on their way to the lake and stop to buy tomatoes.  My farmstand is self serve with payment on the honor system so I had not met them until their last trip for the summer.  The dogs were barking up a storm so I walked out to make sure that everything was okay and we struck up a conversation.  Turns out that one of the gentleman does maple syrup on a quite large scale and his family has done it for a couple of generations.  He told me that he would bring me some buckets that he uses, a little different style than the ones that I had started with, when they came back in the spring.  He was true to his word and a couple of weeks ago they showed up with buckets and taps and tubing.  He set up two buckets with six taps on one tree and there was enough extra to do two more buckets and six more taps on the other tree.  Once a supply of sap is collected it is cooked to evaporate the water and concentrate the sugar.  It takes quite a while.  Generally it takes 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup.  Sap is perfectly clear when it comes from the tree and thin like water.  It is the cooking that causes the color to change to caramel and the syrup to thicken.  Cooking produces a lot of steam so the initial evaporating is usually done outside and then finished up on the stove in the kitchen.  So far I have collected about six pails of sap and have been cooking it to evaporate the water.  It has been cooler during the day so the sap production has slowed but will pick up again when the days are a little warmer.  The slow down allows me to catch up with the cooking.  I am bottling my syrup in mason jars and am starting to get a few pints on the shelf.

sap bucket sitting in new snow
half full of sap

The greenhouse

The greens in the greenhouse are appreciating the longer days.  I have some that have bolted and gone to seed and some new ones that will replace them.  I am also in the process of making room for the seedlings that will eventually go to friends and family and be sold on the farmstand and transplanted into our own vegetable garden.

new greens

ready to eat
This year I kept nine pots of strawberries in the greenhouse hoping for winter berries and although there were no berries during the winter the plants are liking the longer days and are starting to flower.  I am hoping for a jump on the season.  These will spend their summer outdoors and then back in the greenhouse for the winter again.   

strawberry
The herbs that were in pots outside last summer and the ones that I repotted into smaller pots from the large planters made it thru the winter and are thriving.  The greenhouse smells wonderful when you brush up against the herbs.

oregano

lavender lots of new growth

rosemary some is flowering

thyme with a few flowers

sage ready to flower
Seed Starting

I have been starting seeds in the house.  These are the going to be the transplants that will be for sale on the farmstand come May and transplanted into the garden once winter has decided that it is finally done.  The tomatoes and peppers and herbs all benefit from starting indoors.  This year we are sticking with our tried and true varieties but also some new varieties.  Our grocery store has been selling cherry tomatoes as an assortment in pint containers, different sizes and colors and I am thinking that I will do the same at the market so we added a few new cherry and cocktail type tomatoes.  

This year I am starting some flower seeds in addition to the vegetables and am planning a cutting garden.  I am hoping to sell flowers at the farmers market in addition to the vegetables and baked goods.  I am planning to dedicate a couple of rows in the garden for perennials and then also some annuals.  Last year I had a section of my garden that didn't get planted and was full of thistle and milkweed and the pollinators loved it.  I am thinking that I will intentionally leave a bit of that as well as the new flowers.
flower seedlings
peppers

tomato and asparagus

ready to pot


New windows

I am replacing all of the drafty old windows in my house.  I am thinking that they are the original ones.  Right now the windows are sitting in a trailer in my yard.  Weather permitting hopefully the installation will start soon.  As part of that process I will be removing and replacing all of the interior trim and while the old trim is off and before the new trim goes up I am planning to paint the rooms on the main floor.  I am moving in a more neutral direction.  My kitchen has been white with one barn red wall and my living/dining room has been green with one white wall and a bit of burgundy in the stairwell.  The new color in those rooms is going to be gray.  The trim will still be white.  I have started painting the walls that do not have windows and will catch up the window walls once the windows are installed.    I have loved the look of my old wood six over one double hung windows with the pretty trim that matches the door trim throughout the house but the new vinyl windows will really add practicality and smaller heating and cooling costs.  I am going to do a farmhouse style trim so that will be a fun change.

kitchen before

kitchen after
before

this wall used to be green

Another thing that is keeping me busy is a new puppy.  Meet Libby.  She is a full time job although it is getting easier as she is getting a little bigger and spending more time outside.  She is a Great Pyrenees.  She is such a sweetheart.   
a muddy Libby

Lots of stuff going on.  Thanks for visiting

I am joining BNOTP for Met Monday here.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, so much going on in your neck of the woods! I love that the gentleman came back and set up taps for you. Stories like that make me smile. I love your paint, lightening everything up a bit. Every now and then I want to paint everything lighter, but my husband is my painter and convincing him is much tougher! The pup is adorable. What a sweet face. And I bet you'll sell a lot of flowers at your stand. What a charming idea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! My youngest is a fan of gray and that got me thinking that maybe it was time to do something more neutral. Libby is a sweetheart but she will either keep me young or I will be old before my time. She has a lot of energy and the Pyrenees are an independent breed. Not always ones to follow directions.

      Delete
  2. Cute home. I love that little fellow in the last with muddy paws. Happy Easter to you and to yours. Love sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sujatha. She has been muddy like that several times. She seems to clean up pretty well naturally on her own, usually by the next day she is back to being clean and white. One of the hazards of having a white dog in the country.

      Delete
  3. I don't know how I missed this post! I bet that maple syrup is amazing! How wonderful to have a greenhouse to get things started. I can start my little raised bed gardens the end of this month. Love your new wall color. Libby is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! Libby is a sweetheart. We had dog company this weekend. My three kids have five dogs between them and four of them were at the farm this weekend and Libby had such a good time chasing and roughhousing. Just exhausted at the end of the day.

      Delete
  4. You are so well motivated! We see a lot of trees tapped around here but I don’t know anyone who actually does this themselves. I am amazed at how many gallons it takes to create one gallon of maple syrup! Your new paint color looks wonderful. That is so neat how you grow your plants and keep a greenhouse going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz,it is all fun. But I am glad that I only have two maple trees. Right now it is cold again so the sap is not running much so it gives me a chance to catch up a bit.

      Delete
  5. I would love to get into collecting sap from our maple trees! I’m going to bookmark this page for sure :)
    And I loved reading about your plants. I can’t wait to get these seedlings outside once it warms up!
    My seedling progress:
    https://youtu.be/PBhfvjILxqY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I will check out your link. I only have two maples but they are old and big. It is a fun project.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for your visits. Glad you liked the settings. Hope you are enjoying your summer weather. Hugs Sujatha:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sujatha. Hope things are going well with you also.

      Delete