Sunday, November 18, 2018

Done

The farmers market season is over.  The garden has been put out of its misery by the onset of cold weather.  Thanksgiving is coming and I have a lot for which to be thankful.  I am a glass half full kind of girl and one of the things to be thankful for is that we get to start over again next year after a challenging this year.  I am thankful for new beginnings.  Very thankful.

After only posting one blog post all summer I am looking forward to seeing if I remember how.  I have a couple of ideas of things I could share.  I am probably a little late to the party but I made some beeswax food wraps.  My intention was to make them to sell at the holiday extravaganza that i had committed to having a table at.  My thought process went like this--if they didn't sell I could always put them in the kids' Christmas stockings or save any surplus for next year's market.  I only took one picture of the process, and that picture was of the finished wraps drying on my pasta rack.  That is not going to be a photo-laden post.

I have made a couple batches of homemade soap but I am eager to try another method of soap making and more recipes.

I am trying to restart an old sewing hobby.  My poor eyesight has made it pretty difficult to sew.  Threading the needle on the sewing machine was impossible.  I recently bought a different sewing machine, one that threads itself.   Additionally one of my favorite fabric stores closed this summer but before they did they had deep discounts on all of their fabrics.  I bought fabric for a duvet cover and curtains for my newly gray bedroom.  I bought fabric for table linens and throw pillows and linen bread bags and reusable grocery bags.  I have been watching youtube videos about making purses and bags and it looks like fun. 

I haven't added any recipes recently to my recipe blogs.  But this summer I took breads and scones and biscotti and fun jelly to the market.  I tried to expand my repertoire of gluten free offerings for the market, trying to make that my niche in our small group of vendors.  I bought some fun pasta making tools, wood ones for cutting pasta and ravioli and gnocchi that I should learn to use.  And vintage steamed pudding molds. 

I haven't done any tablescapes with any new to me dishes.  I could at least share some thrift store finds.

I haven't started the table that will hold my vintage sink that will be outside.  I have barely started to build the bar that will go in my chicken coop.  Both are outdoor projects that could see a little progress on a sunny winter day.

And...we have three weddings next fall!  So that will mean engagement parties and bridal showers  It is going to be so fun.  My niece wants vintage dishes used at her wedding so her mom and I are on the hunt for white china and brass candlesticks.  I have some.  Well, quite a bit, actually.  Her mom has some too, but more are needed.  We like to thrift so it is not like it will be a hardship to search out the additional place settings that she will need.     

Yep, it is going to be a good winter.

Lorri    

2 comments:

  1. Lorri, you must share the details...a self threading machine? I need one of these. I can't wait to see what you come up with, you must share!! And I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve this winter. I hope you share. You've peaked my interest! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim and Happy Thanksgiving to you too friend!! I was watching a you tube video with a gal who was doing freezer meals and she recommended a particular container for her 'TV dinners' and on the same website she also recommended her favorite sewing machine and it happened to have a self threading feature. I ordered one since I was unable to find that particular model in our local stores and so far I am liking it. It was pretty inexpensive, less than $100 and it is hyped as great for beginners and also more experienced sewers and it is pretty petite and lightweight, so pretty portable. It is made by Brother. I have never had a really expensive machine, just basic Singer machines but I am so far liking it. It is their model XM2701. I participated in a craft fair at our local hospital and had planned to make linen bread bags for storing homemade bread instead of using plastic bags. I bought some 100% linen but didn't get the bags done in time to take them along to the craft sale. I will finish making them and perhaps have them for sale at the farmer's markets next summer. I will have to take a few pictures and do a post.

      Delete