Monday, November 26, 2018

Jack's Gift

The first of my handcrafted gifts for this year is done. I shared in my previous post that I was hoping to restart a long neglected sewing hobby and this is one of my first projects.  My brother makes a killer cheesecake.  It is a little embarrassing.  I taught him to make cheesecake but his cheesecake is far superior to any that I have made even though he still uses the recipe that I gave him.  'Our' recipe uses a 10 inch diameter springform pan and this year for his gift I am giving him a smaller 6 inch diameter pan so that he can make cheesecake for a smaller crowd without having half a cake left over.  The handcrafted part of his gift is a pair of potholders with his recipe printed on them.

I had never printed on fabric before.  There are many methods out there on the web.  I used one where the fabric is attached to a piece of freezer paper cut to the size of typing paper and then it is run through the printer.  I prewashed my fabrics to remove any sizing and make sure that it wouldn't shrink when the finished project was laundered.  I double checked to make sure that my printer ink was compatible with printing on fabric.  I prepared my document so that it was the size that I wanted for the potholder and bolded the font to make it a little darker.

After I printed it I cut it to size and applied fusible interfacing to the back.  I then attached a single layer of cotton batting and the ticking fabric to make the pocket.  I made the potholder that the pocket was going to be attached to by sandwiching four layers of the same cotton batting between two layers of ticking.  The back ticking layer was cut larger so that it could be folded over the edges of the potholder and stitched on the front making a binding.  I sewed a few lines of quilting on the potholder then attached the pocket.  I attached a hanging loop in the left upper corner as I stitched the binding in place.  I am happy with the result.  I learned one method for printing on fabric.  My new sewing machine with the self threading feature allowed me to sew all I wanted without needing to get help when my needle came unthreaded.  And I have one gift done.

Sharing with BNOTP here.

Jack's cheesecake recipe is here.

2 comments:

  1. I love this...and cheesecake is my all time favorite dessert. I need to go peek at the recipe. And I have a pillow in the works where I am making my own design and adding to the pillow. I was going to use those iron on sheets, but may look into your method instead. Hmmm...options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. This is the link to the method that I used to do the fabric printing. I didn't follow all of her steps. I cut the freezer paper first and then ironed it onto the back of my fabric and then cut out around the paper. i didn't lint roller it or change any settings but I wasn't printing a photo and I might have if I was.

      https://www.easysewingforbeginners.com/project/how-to-print-on-fabric-with-an-inkjet-printer-and-freezer-paper-washable-as-well/

      I will be watching for your pillow...

      Delete