Nikole and Brad arrived on Friday ahead of the others that came on Saturday. They brought a pickup load of wood chips to go around the front of the house. Last fall Mom and I removed the old plantings, got the grading done, plastic laid, and the edging placed where we wanted it and temporarily attached. A pickup load did not get us a really thick layer of chips but it covered all the area that we wanted to cover. A few more wood chips to make a thicker layer can be added at any time We were able to get some work done in the greenhouse emptying spent planters. That was a good job to get done as we will need the space for the summer garden transplant seedlings that have been started in the house. They installed a fan that will be used to bring outside air into the greenhouse. It works either separately or in conjunction with the other fan that removes hot air from the greenhouse and it has already been successful at keeping the greenhouse from getting overly warm on the sunny Saturday and Sunday of the weekend. The three of us also finished the tomato cages that I had started. Boy does it go a lot faster with three. Our cages are a piece of gridded wire fencing attached to a 2x2 post. I built a few last year and the ones that we finished now will be greatly expand our caging supplies. This was a great way to use some of the extra fencing Nikole and Brad shared.
On Sunday we had breakfast at the farm and then headed into town for dinner with my parents. We took along a great salad that Bobbie, Brad's mom had found on Pinterest and it turned out to be as good as was reported. We used kale grown in the greenhouse. It had a warm onion balsamic dressing that was massaged into the kale and then topped with goat cheese and pine nuts. The warm dressing slightly wilted the kale. It was very good. I didn't get any pictures of it but will be posting the recipe on my farmstand cookbook blog.
The last project of the weekend was a window project. My farmhouse has original wood windows and all of them are energy inefficient but many of them are rotting and starting to have real issues. Before winter arrived, while we were painting the house, Dad built a 'bandaid' for the worst one at that time to get us by while I agonize over replacements. Just before the weekend a new worst one developed. Nathan stabilized the window and took some measurements for another 'bandaid'.
I have such a great family.
A few pictures from our weekend projects:
|The new wood chips around the font of the house|
|The finished end of the garden, ready for planting.|
|the trellis that will hold the pole beans|
|new numbers on the posts|
|this trellis will hold the peas|
|the leaf pile is gone|
|the new fan in the greenhouse|
|the tomato cages|